Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC2/Telechat review of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-24

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk> Wed, 17 August 2016 17:20 UTC

To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:04:23 +0100
Cc: General area reviewing team <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC2/Telechat review of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-24

Hi, Ben.

Having read Barry's proposed update for RFC 3967,  I would be happy for
that to become the status quo.  However, I would distinguish between
truly foundational documents that are produced in tandem with the
protocol standards or subsequently (as mentioned in Barry's draft) and
what one might call WG process documents such as requirements documents
and problem statements. I was going to use the word 'ephemera' to
describe these latter types, but that is doing them a disservice:  Such
documents, along with mailing list archives, can provide insight into
the thought processes that went into the generation of the WG output for
future reference.  Both the software industry and the standards industry
is incredibly bad at remembering how decisions were reached - the
concept of a 'design diary' never seems to have taken hold - with the
result that we spend an awful lot of time reopening topics that were
shown to be blind alleys and such like especially after the original
participants have moved on.

That being said, I think that the 'design diary' category of documents
probably ought to be archived elsewhere than the RFC series;
additionally, it is unclear whether applying the RFC review processes
and resources to an essentially random subset of WG's design thoughts is
appropriate (that is a random set of WGs rather than a random set of
thoughts from any one WG - I hope :-) ).  As mentioned below, it is not
generally known in advance that parts of such documents might end up
being key references in later standards which can affect both the way in
which the documents are written (applicable in this case to some extent)
and the rigour of review  (the WG seems to have done a good job in this
case).

Up until last month, I think that the foundational documents extension
would have covered the situation - RFC 6707 broke the mould, and I do
not consider that foundational covers it.

Back to the current document:  I have reread s3 of RFC 7206 and there
are some points that need to be sorted out:

- The term 'end-to-end' is given a slightly specialized meaning in RFC
7206.  This is presumably carried through to the draft under review, but
the need to refer to the end-to-end definition is not mentioned in the
draft.

- The use of 'session' as a shorthand for the specific meaning of
'communication session' defined in RFC 7206 ought to be emphasized
within the draft since the shorthand in RFC 7206 is technically limited
to the RFC (ok, this is somewhat nitpicking but easy to misinterpret.)

- The last para of s3.1 of RFC 7206 states:

> This definition, along with the constraints imposed by the
>     requirements in this document,....
There is no explicit statement that this standard meets all the
requirements, so this is difficult to verify and might be problematical
in future.

Overall, I am of the opinion that in this sort of situation, I'd do a
copy and paste exercise and tweak the text just a little to fit the
context more accurately.

Cheers,

Elwyn