Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC2/Telechat review of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-24

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 17 August 2016 22:26 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:26:01 -0500
Cc: General area reviewing team <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC2/Telechat review of draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-24

On 17 Aug 2016, at 12:04, Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Hi, Ben.
>
> Having read Barry's proposed update for RFC 3967,  I would be happy
> for that to become the status quo.  However, I would distinguish
> between truly foundational documents that are produced in tandem with
> the protocol standards or subsequently (as mentioned in Barry's draft)
> and what one might call WG process documents such as requirements
> documents and problem statements. I was going to use the word
> 'ephemera' to describe these latter types, but that is doing them a
> disservice:  Such documents, along with mailing list archives, can
> provide insight into the thought processes that went into the
> generation of the WG output for future reference.  Both the software
> industry and the standards industry is incredibly bad at remembering
> how decisions were reached - the concept of a 'design diary' never
> seems to have taken hold - with the result that we spend an awful lot
> of time reopening topics that were shown to be blind alleys and such
> like especially after the original participants have moved on.
>
> That being said, I think that the 'design diary' category of documents
> probably ought to be archived elsewhere than the RFC series;
> additionally, it is unclear whether applying the RFC review processes
> and resources to an essentially random subset of WG's design thoughts
> is appropriate (that is a random set of WGs rather than a random set
> of thoughts from any one WG - I hope :-) ).  As mentioned below, it is
> not generally known in advance that parts of such documents might end
> up being key references in later standards which can affect both the
> way in which the documents are written (applicable in this case to
> some extent) and the rigour of review  (the WG seems to have done a
> good job in this case).
>
> Up until last month, I think that the foundational documents extension
> would have covered the situation - RFC 6707 broke the mould, and I do
> not consider that foundational covers it.

Without prejudice to your points (many of which I agree with), can I
safely assume that the discussion above this point is more around
Barry's draft, that we don't need to hold draft-ietf-insipid-session-id
hostage to the completion of that discussion?

> Back to the current document:  I have reread s3 of RFC 7206 and there
> are some points that need to be sorted out:
>
> - The term 'end-to-end' is given a slightly specialized meaning in RFC
> 7206.  This is presumably carried through to the draft under review,
> but the need to refer to the end-to-end definition is not mentioned in
> the draft.
>
> - The use of 'session' as a shorthand for the specific meaning of
> 'communication session' defined in RFC 7206 ought to be emphasized
> within the draft since the shorthand in RFC 7206 is technically
> limited to the RFC (ok, this is somewhat nitpicking but easy to
> misinterpret.)

I agree with both of the above points. Authors?

> - The last para of s3.1 of RFC 7206 states:
>
>> This definition, along with the constraints imposed by the
>>     requirements in this document,....
> There is no explicit statement that this standard meets all the
> requirements, so this is difficult to verify and might be
> problematical in future.

I think that text, taken in context, is about the ability to use the
session-id across protocols, not the definition of session-id in
general. That is, even if the protocol fails to meet some of the
requirements, the definition does not change.

> Overall, I am of the opinion that in this sort of situation, I'd do a
> copy and paste exercise and tweak the text just a little to fit the
> context more accurately.

Noted, and I hope to discuss that point with the rest of the IESG,
either via mail or on the telechat. (I note, however, that there were
multiple comments suggesting a different draft on tomorrow's telechat
should not have copied definitions forward. Now, that was a requirements
draft referencing terms from other requirements/architecture/problem
statement drafts, so the situation may be a bit different.