Re: [Geopriv] Direction for draft-ietf-geopriv-binary-lci

"Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com> Mon, 18 February 2008 05:21 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:21:47 -0600
From: "Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
To: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV WG <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Direction for draft-ietf-geopriv-binary-lci
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Marc inline.

> > I don't quite not where to start since your response is so
> > utterly incorrect, and full of misrepresentations.
>
> Do you agree that self-measured location determination either doesn't
> support 'uncertainty' or supports it via the use of significant
digits?

> Do you agree that network-measured location determination provides
> 'uncertainty' as additional data points to the position data?

[AJW] No I don't. A point with uncertainty radius is a circle or as may
calculate it, and ellipsoid. This is what I got from the GPS that I
used. Not a dodgey 3825 "thick point".

> > You seem to imply that 3825 is about "self-measuring" device,
> > there is no mention of this in 3825 at all. In fact 3825 says:
>
> There must be something lost in the translation process between
northern
> and
> southern hemisphere :^).  I never stated that 3825 is any kind of
device.
> stated that 3825 supports the data output from common self-measuring
> location determination mechanisms.  These mechanisms are most akin to
> building the wire-map database that dhcp would utilize in support of
the
> LCP
> function.

[AJW] This is not stated in 3825, it is a post supposition that you are
introducing now. It is irrelevant to the argument, and as I stated
above, I don't believe that that is how GPS reports location.

> > "This document specifies a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol [1]
> >    Option for the coordinate-based geographic location of the
> > client, to
> >    be provided by the server."
> >
> > To me this is clearly a network determined location, or is
> > the DHCP server in the end-device?
>
> I am not going to answer this ridiculous question.  And I do believe
you
> understand the difference between the location measuring piece of
location
> determination vs. wiremap data and the act of passing this data to the
end
> host.

[AJW] Fair enough, though you have stated on occasion that 3825 is not
dependent on DHCP relay, where the opening text suggests that it is a
predicate for the mechanism to work.

> > Just to cut your response before you start, I have wandered
> > around quite large areas of Dallas in the past with a
> > differential GPS unit that quite clearly provided me with a
> > location as a circle, point with radius, and not a "thick point".
>
> OK, good, you've now got experience.
>
> Would you agree this application utilized a self-measured location
> determination mechanism?
>
> Was the circle, point with radius coming from the actual GPS or due to
the
> resolution of the map data?

[AJW] From the GPS. It was expressed as an ellipsoid point +- X metres.

I didn't say anything about a mapping function, not sure where this left
field argument came from. I didn't require a mapping application for the
activity I was performing.

> > I asked John S, a very simple question in an email yesterday,
> > that he has declined to respond to, I think that the answer
> > to that question would solve a great deal of trouble. Just in
> > case it got lost in the noise, I shall provide a link to it here:
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg05189.html
>
> I noticed your question and view it again as an attempt to take this
> conversation down the road of comparing the merits of self-measured
> location
> determination mechanisms to network-measured location determination
> mechanisms.  Again, I going to ask that these types of debates take
place
> in
> a the proper venue, not the IETF.

[AJW] Then you have completely misunderstood why the question was asked.
John implied that a way to convey a circular uncertainty through DHCP
was not required, because the existing option could convey a rectangular
uncertainty. I was merely asking him to confirm that I had interpreted
his statement correctly, and I am waiting for an answer.

Cheers
James

this email is prohibited.