Re: [Geopriv] Direction for draft-ietf-geopriv-binary-lci

"Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com> Mon, 25 February 2008 01:53 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:53:30 -0600
From: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Direction for draft-ietf-geopriv-binary-lci
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Cullen,

It does depend on why A & B are being written to begin with, but a correct way to write two such contextual statements would be:

A) 3825 provides a way to explicitly state the number of binary digits that should be considered significant in a 34 bit fixed point representation of each of the latitude and longitude values associated with a point.

B) The pidf-lo profile specification does not include an equivalent GML encoding for a point that explicitly indicates the number of significant digits for each of the latitude and longitude values of that point.

Presumably the follow on question is whether we should add this GMLC encoding. It's not something I'm for or against; I guess the main use would be as vehicle to not lose the explicit significant digit information from a 3825 packet.

I'm not sure that there's anything more to be said as far as working through the example.

The range is 15.999 to 16.034

3825 allows me to encode it as a 34 bit fixed decimal number, with 9 bits before the decimal point. The only binary range that completely encloses the target range is 0-32 degrees. The *next smallest* range is 0-16 and that leaves out the upper 0.034 degrees of the region(which is actually the largest part of it). So - the 3825 encoding that includes the whole region is:

0000xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with Res set to 4

Of course, you have to put some numbers in the other 21 non-siginficant bits when you populate the fields in the option but, by definition, they are not significant; they can be anything.

The recipient gets a value which they interpret as anything from zero to 31.9999999 recurring (I call it 32 for convenience).

> I think your phrase "bounding area" confuses the issue. If we say a
> rectangle R that is collinear with the equator bounds the polygon P,
> we could mean a few things. One would be the smallest rectangle such
> that P was inside R. Another meaning would be any R where P was
> inside. I believe the correct term for the first is "minimum bounding"
> while the second is just "bounding". The DHCP stuff can do the
> bounding but not the minimum bounding.

Terminology is certainly problematic - and there's been no end of semantic gymnastics in the discussion. However, it's definitely true that the minimum bounding area that DHCP can communicate in the above example is zero to 32 degrees.

BTW, the example in the lci-binary draft uses a target that straddles 32 degrees (it's 31.99999850 to 32.00000274). The actual minimum bounding that can be used to enclose this target is zero to 64 degrees. The example text has a lot of machinations around determining an error value associated with the target but then doesn't follow through with conclusions about how it applies in the final 3825 encoding. The example actually implies that the final encoding should be 000100000.0000000000000000000010101  32.00000062 with Res set to 27; i.e. the last .... 0010101 part has no significance. Well, since 27 bits of resolution means that it's the first 27 bits that are significant, and as I said to John S, this results in the following interpretation for the recipient of the encoding:

000100000.0000000000000000000XXXX

That is:

000100000.00000000000000000000000 recurring

000100000.00000000000000000001111 recurring

or 32.00000000 to 32.0000038

So the result is a range that has the lower value inside the original range and an upper value which is outside the original range that was the subject of the example. I think this was a mistake. It certainly ends up with a smaller range than the 64 degrees that can actually be communicated and still bounds the range but at the expense of being wrong and conveying the wrong information.

Cheers,
Martin