Re: [Geopriv] IPR disclosure on draft-ietf-geopriv-deref-protocol

tglassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Sun, 22 July 2012 13:35 UTC

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 06:36:17 -0700
From: tglassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] IPR disclosure on draft-ietf-geopriv-deref-protocol

On 7/20/2012 2:50 AM, DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:
> Could I just point out that discussion of the validity, or not, of the claims made in the declaration or in the claimed IPR itself are not something the working group should be discussing.
Agreed

> The WG merely needs to make a decision, based on the IPR declaration, and the references therefrom, as to whether it should proceed with the current technical solution, or to adopt an alternative technical solution (or no solution at all).
No, and this is the failing - you as an operative here  seem to think
you make decisions here that you are immune from the consequences of...
and  that is not what is happening here - The WG (GeoPRIV) has no legal
authority itself to make any decisions. ONLY ITS SPONSORS OF ITS MEMBER
DO meaning OpenGeospatial.ORG must formally weigh in as to whether  it
assumes formal liability for your actions or it is disavowing this and
halting the actions as must the people you legally represent here since
it is them who you are the fiduciary for.

> Saying "proceed" can encompass everything from "I don't believe the claims are valid" to "The claims are valid but I am prepared to pay the license fee to get this technical solution", but you don't need to tell the working group any of that, particularly if it leads to a discussion of whether your statement is correct or not.
No saying PROCEED means "That I have direct and provable direction from
my sponsor that they will assume any liability for my participation in
this development"... and nothing less.  The validity of the patent and
the claims are relevant to this Intellectual Property process...

> Regards
>
> Keith

The real issue is whether GeoSpatial.ORG is willing to take the chance -
they are the party with the actual legal liability - they sponsor not
only the initiative but through their formal membership sponsor this IP
Development - so its them and your SPONSORS and NOT YOU who make this
decision.

By the way - if you personally take that decision away from you SPONSOR
you may be committing electronic fraud by wire under the fiduciary
standards and if you folks are too arrogant to believe you are immune
here because you folks as a group within IETF voted so and the IPR-WG
told you - well...I strongly suggest that your actions are in frat
criminal in nature.

Under BCP 78/79 you must as  an IETF participant assert legally that
"you have a formal power of attorney from your sponsor" to work on and
assign their IP rights. The fact  almost no one here actually has that
shows the constant fraud created here and its time that fraud was fully
exposed ... So you personally (those of you without this legal standing)
are in fact committing fraud here as well.

Its really that simple and trying to cloud the IP issue isnt the thing
to do - either GeoPRIV WG Chair or  GeoSpatial.ORG and the SPONSORS have
to formally declare that they are responsible commercially for any
damage to patents already in place the IETF GeoPRIV does... that's all.

Todd Glassey