RE: [Geopriv] HELD identity extension - standardisation is insecure

"Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com> Thu, 22 November 2007 00:54 UTC

Subject: RE: [Geopriv] HELD identity extension - standardisation is insecure
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:54:47 -0600
From: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>
To: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, "Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>, geopriv@ietf.org

Isolating the first point - which appears to be a "highlight objection"
to the identity extension functionality, with a focus on security

The HELD identity extension supports three key sets of functionality

1.	The option for a target device which is also the HELD client to
provide additional information to facilitate location determination - or
provide for more accurate location determination. E.g. the device uses
LLDP to determine the connected switch/port and provides that with the
request or the device can provide RFID data as part of a specific site
location network.
2.	For one LIS to communicate information to another LIS where
location determination is performed co-operatively between LIS elements.
E.g an ISP LIS which provides the L2TP tunnel identifier to a DSL
infrastructure provider LIS so that it can correlate it with the BRAS
circuit, associated DSLAM termination, and corresponding residential
street address.
3.	For a trusted application to request location on-behalf-of a
legacy device which lacks native location-capability. E.g. an enterprise
VoIP environment with legacy IP handsets with no internal location
request capability - the call server can request the LIS to provide the
location of the IP address associated with the phone.

If I understand your proposition, all of these things can be done in
proprietary ways and that this is inherently more secure - correct me if
I misinterpreted the comment. While I don't see how the security
argument can be quantified (sounds like security through obscurity), my
view is that industry standardisation is very important for all of these
functions, security can definitely be addressed (and even in proprietary
ways if desired) very effectively, and any notional security concerns
associated with standardising this approach don't outweigh the benefits
in terms of interoperability and speed of implementation across many
access networks.

Cheers,

Martin