Re: [GROW] IPR Disclosure: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-grow-va-02

Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com> Sat, 26 June 2010 01:25 UTC

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:25:40 +0800
From: Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com>
To: 'Christopher Morrow' <christopher.morrow@gmail.com>
Cc: dromasca@avaya.com, grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GROW] IPR Disclosure: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd's Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-grow-va-02

VA
> > system, you would have to consider how to make the configuration task as
> > easy as possible. For the purpose of experiment, the VP-list tool is
enough.

> my point about cogent, swisscom and other networks is that they
> already do VA (after a fashion) and they already have management of
> this configuration 'solved'.

I'm glad hearing that some ISPs have deployed VA (after a fashion) to
suppress FIB.

> Layering on another protocol to manage
> this (with the surely unintended security problems that brings along
> with it) isn't really a win here.

Sure, that's why we just use the BGP community, rather than a new path
attribute or a totally new protocol to carry the "can-suppress" tag.

> Folks that run large MPLS enabled networks already have a system to
> distribute lsp configs (or use LDP for this), adding some config
> standards for prefix-list management and bgp policy isn't super hard.

I agree that isn't super hard. One can choose either to synchronize the
policy configuration (e.g., prefix-list for policy) among all the BGP peers
of the same domain and make these BGP peers in turn perform the path
selection according to the synchronized policy configuration, or to
configure the policy on the limited number of BGP peers and make these BGP
peers to mark the e-BGP learnt routes with the local preference or some
other path attribute, thus the other BGP peers receiving the marked routes
could directly make the route selection according to the marks. There are
similar choices for QoS process, for example, One can choose to
synchronization the QoS policy configuration among all involved routers and
make each of them to perform QoS remark and CAR independently, or to
configure the QoS policy just at the border routers which will perform QoS
remarks and make the following routers to perform QoS CAR according to the
QoS marks.

> In fact, you already do this today in any decent sized network for
> connected routes, aggregates, customer/peer/etc, local community
> attachment... Certainly the first bit of "gee, we have routes without
> full routes, should the route left or right for this?" is "hard" (or
> at least takes a few moments of thought), but ongoing it's really not
> very hard to figure out (or shouldn't be).
>
> > However, for a product network, is it acceptable for the network
operators
> > to configure/maintain the identical VP-list on all VA routers? Besides,
>
> they do today for things as I mentioned above:
> aggregate routes
> static redistribution
> connected route redistribution
> 'customer' routes vs 'peer' routes
> localizing communities
> etc...
>
> > alleviate the heavy traffic pressure on the APRs, those popular prefixes
for
> > high-volume traffic should be installed into FIB by all BGP routers as
> > normal. Is it acceptable for the network operators to configure/maintain
the

> 'some prefixes will want as optimal pathing through the network as
possible'
>  or
> 'some prefixes will pay for better service'
>  or
> 'some prefixes can not tolerate the added stretch imposed by VA'

Yes. That's the intention of the popular prefix defined in VA docs.

> this isn't really all that different than tweaking bgp
> communities/policy today "Hey, hauling this /24 from SFO to LAX just
> to send it to ATT and SantaClara is dumb, why don't we just localpref
> it up here in SantaClara and hand it to ATT there?"
>
> > large volume of popular prefixes on all VA routers?
>
> this happens today, see previous examples.
>
> > With the auto-configure mechanism defined in the current VA-auto draft,
the
> > network operator just need to configure the VP-range and the
pop-prefix-list
> > on those local ASBRs which are connected to its peer ASes and transit
ASes,
> > and those ASBRs in turn will classify the e-BGP learnt routes into two
types
> > according to the configured VP-range and the pop-prefix-list:
> > can-be-suppressed and can-not-be-suppressed, and attach the
"can-suppress"
> > tag to those can-be-suppressed prefixes when adverting them to their
iBGP
> > peers which, in turn, just need to selectively install the received
routes
> > according the "can-suppress" tag of the routes and their own roles
(i.e.,.
> > ARP or non-APR).
>
> you have successfully described 'bgp communities' and 'prefix
> lists'... we do this today, it's really not a burden.

Yes, after using the BGP community to carry the "can-suppress" tag, the
configuration for VA becomes much easy and isn't a burden any more.
Especially when the operator has deployed APRs whose VPs have covered the
whole DFZ address blocks, just one VP-range entry of 0/0 is enough and it is
only needed to be configured on the local ASBRs which are connected to peer
ASes and transit ASes. Besides, VP merge and VP split operations don't
require any change to the VP-range configuration. I believe the amount of
these ASBRs is much smaller than that of the ASBRs which are connected to
customer ASes for most ISP networks, not mentioning the other non-ASBR BGP
peers.

Best wishes,
Xiaohu

<ietf-ipr@ietf.org>