[Hipsec-rg] comments on draft-heer-hip-middle-auth-01

thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com (Henderson, Thomas R) Wed, 03 September 2008 15:56 UTC

From: "thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com"
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:56:06 -0700
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] comments on draft-heer-hip-middle-auth-01

I'd like to solicit some comments on
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-heer-hip-middle-auth-01.txt

Tobias has presented this draft a couple of times now, and at the end of
the last RG meeting was asking whether the HIPRG wanted to continue to
work on this topic.

There was some discussion of this draft in January in which Julien asked
for clarification of what security service we want to provide, and what
are the requirements being addressed, since it was pointed out that
authentication of the base exchange was not carrying over to the ESP
data flows.  Section 4 of the updated draft responds to this request.

As a matter of procedure, there are a few directions the RG can take
with respect to this or any draft within scope of our charter:
1) agree to take on the draft as a RG item and try to publish it as a RG
draft, according to the process being defined in
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-rfcs-01.txt
2) recommend to the HIP WG that they take the draft
3) decline to take the draft and recommend to the authors to publish it
as an independent submission

If we agree to 1), we will need to come to some RG consensus on the
draft and willingness to work on it through the publication process.

Comments?

Tom