[Hipsec-rg] comments on draft-heer-hip-middle-auth-01

Jan.Melen at nomadiclab.com (Jan Mikael Melen) Tue, 30 September 2008 20:45 UTC

From: "Jan.Melen at nomadiclab.com"
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:45:40 +0300
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] comments on draft-heer-hip-middle-auth-01

Hi Tobias,

I think that no one can give you a definitive answer whether HIP aware
middleboxes will ever exist or not. The thing is that it is really
dependent on the fact whether HIP ever gets deployed in large scale or
not? I personally am still betting on the fact that HIP will eventually
be deployed due to fact that it still has a lot of good features nicely
packaged into a single protocol so from that perspective I do support
the work you are doing. It even seems that a lot of people in the IETF
are looking into HIP and HIP kind of solutions. In the last IETF I heard
HIP mentioned several times but still in the same comments there was a
lot of hesitation on the deployment issue. But as you probably have also
noted from the previous meetings, the HIP-RG and WG discussion are
really dead and we really must find a user for HIP (meaning new people
in to RG and WG meetings) otherwise I think that the collaboration you
are expecting is not going to be as fruitful as you would like it to be.

Btw. Latest twist on the ID/Loc issue began from Dublin where in the RRG
meeting during the Joe Halperns Id/Loc split presentation a question was
raised why not push down the FQDN in to the stack. This is not really a
new idea but first time I've heard some serious discussion on the topic
if you want to know more go and see the mailing archive of RRG.

Just my few cents,
    Jan