Re: [homegate] A new proposed charter (and name) for HOMEGATE

"Stephen [kiwin] PALM" <palm@broadcom.com> Thu, 09 September 2010 11:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 04:41:50 -0700
From: "Stephen [kiwin] PALM" <palm@broadcom.com>
To: Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>
Cc: "homegate@ietf.org" <homegate@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homegate] A new proposed charter (and name) for HOMEGATE

On 9/7/2010 10:04 AM, Ray Bellis wrote:
> Mark Townsley and I, with lots of help from Ole Troan and input from various ADs and from Jason, have authored a new potential charter for this group.

Overall the proposed charter looks much better than before.
Some clarifications suggested below.

> --8<--8<--

> A home network can include a variety of data-link technologies, be it
> Ethernet, 802.11, 802.15.4 or power line communication.

Please add "MoCA" (over coax) to the list.

> Connected
> devices may be as diverse as personal computers, televisions, digital
> video recorders, telephones, computing tablets, digital cameras,
> IP-enabled light switches, gaming consoles, audio output speakers, smart
> electricity meters, toys, printers, routers and more.

Seems we should add "bridges" to that list. 8-)
The devices are listed in plural form, perhaps as a grammar artifact,
or do we explicitly want to address multiple routerS?

> The home network provides important local connectivity,

Seems we should delete "important" unless we clarify what was implied.
Was it an implicit reference to QoS?

> Internet connectivity through one
> or more Internet Service Providers, and connectivity to closed networks,
> such as corporate VPNs and walled garden services.

Perhaps we should scope that to "personal usage of corporate VPNs"
so we dont stray to far into small/medium office.

> - Support for IPv4 and IPv6 with zero configuration,

Please add "simultaneously both" before IPv4 to make the simultaneous requirement explicit.

> - Simple naming for devices in the home network, so they can be accessed
>   from within the home network as well as from elsewhere on the
>   Internet.

The later "internet" naming requirement seems to imply a
larger domain effort that probably should be outside the scope of homenet?

> - Support for connections to multiple Internet service providers or
>   closed networks (VPNs, walled gardens) at the same time

I suppose there will be a lot of future discussion on whether the burden
to achieve that should fall on the router or the clients.

> - Effective queuing and forwarding mechanisms to enable efficient
>   communication between network segments of different speeds.

append: ", latencies and error rates".

> - Support for DNSSEC validation within the home network.

It seems odd to call out one specific protocol in this bullet list.
Generalize or remove.

> The working group will work together with other standards development
> organizations that define requirements on home networking devices
> (including groups such as the Home Gateway Initiative, Broadband Forum,
> CableLabs, UPnP, DLNA, etc.).

some folks have a very limited definition of SDOs, so please add "and fora"
after "organizations". (The examples imply fora, but let's make it explicit)

regards, kiwin

--
Stephen [kiwin] Palm   Ph.D.                          E:  palm@kiwin.com
Senior Technical Director                             T: +1-949-926-PALM