Re: [hybi] On TLS-only Approaches

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Sun, 22 August 2010 22:06 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:06:28 +1000
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] On TLS-only Approaches

The reason that the figures for non-TLS WebSockets are so low is that -- shock -- no one's really using WebSockets yet.

If we're successful -- i.e., if we standardise and ship in all major browsers -- a new protocol on a new port, that changes the environment substantially.

To wit, firewall administrators will either already be aware of WebSockets, or will become aware of it when they get complaints from their users. They will then choose to either allow it, or to block it purposefully.

As soon as GMail / Yahoo / Amazon / whatever puts up a "you have to hit this button / can't see pretty eye candy because your network doesn't support WebSockets", it creates a massive amount of pressure on them. This is NOT the same problem as getting users to upgrade browsers; we're talking about a much smaller, more IT-educated, and professional (i.e., paid to do this) group of people. Deployment won't happen overnight, but it won't be as slow as most expect.

And, after that, if it isn't allowed in a substantial number of networks, maybe this tells us something about designing and deploying a semantically opaque TCP-like protocol that runs from remotely obtained code on desktop machines. WS is *much* more broadly capable than just letting servers send async events to HTTP clients (as it was originally sold).

Regards,

P.S. A general observation - I find it really remarkable that so many talented engineers are able to ignore the fundamentals of game theory.