Re: [hybi] On TLS-only Approaches

"Shelby Moore" <shelby@coolpage.com> Mon, 23 August 2010 13:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:21:07 -0400
From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] On TLS-only Approaches

> On 23/08/2010, at 2:03 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> Do we have any past success stories along these lines? i.e. a new
>> protocol using a new port is developed, clients and servers start using
>> it despite the high rate of failure, and subsequently administrators
>> change their firewalls so that it commonly works.
>
> HTTP
> SIP
> ssh
> various forms of VPNs
>
> See also the contents of /etc/services on most Unix-like systems.

I read in this thread mostly bottom-up arguments about technology and very
little top-down game theory about what really matters.

Ultimately, success of anything depends on whether people need it, crave
it, want it, drool over it, and if there exists no other readily available
alternative which has less inertia against it.

We geeks need to remember that ultimately it is not about web services
developers, nor principles of technological perfection, it is about end
users:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg03548.html

Tangential to my point above, if we want to enable the killer-application,
why are we refusing to enable 99% of the internet to use WebSockets:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg03549.html

<truth-rant>And I am talking about the permutations of interconnections
that exist now, but are being wasted by we geeks who think we know
better.</truth-rant>

I see no reason that we can not support WebSockets over HTTP, HTTPS (TLS),
and also have a new port for WebSockets.

Why should we pick the winners and losers?  Let the market place decide.
The more options we offer the market place, then the better chance we have
that our orthogonal effort on the WebSocket frames won't be wasted (i.e.
not maximized).