Re: [hybi] With deflate-stream, Close frame doesn't work as an end of data marker

Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> Mon, 28 February 2011 20:41 UTC

Sender: gregw@intalio.com
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 07:40:40 +1100
From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>
To: John Tamplin <jat@google.com>
Cc: hybi@ietf.org, Yutaka_Takeda@playstation.sony.com
Subject: Re: [hybi] With deflate-stream, Close frame doesn't work as an end of data marker

On 1 March 2011 01:32, John Tamplin <jat@google.com> wrote:
> It also means we have to agree on the details of how it should be
> specified, which is why the super-simple deflate-stream was added to
> the standard instead of trying to get agreement on something better.

Well I remember the proposal for deflate stream being made, but I
certainly don't recall any consensus that it should be put into the
draft.  There have been consistent voices against compressing the
framing.

I really think this is an important point of principal, if any
arbitrary extension is free to entirely change what is sent on the
wire, then we are going to have a very difficult environment in which
to develop any kind of meaningful intermediaries.    I keep coming
back to the analogy of HTTP, where it is not legal to just add a
header to define an extension and then change HTTP framing entirely.
The only way to break out of HTTP framing is with something like
Upgrade or CONNECT.

If the first exemplar of an extension we have is something that
completely changes what is sent over the wire, then I think we have
totally devalued WS framing as a standard.

regards