Re: [hybi] WebSocket feedback

Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand@webex.com> Thu, 04 March 2010 18:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:27:48 -0700
From: Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand@webex.com>
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>, Hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] WebSocket feedback

On 3/4/10 12:25 AM, "Greg Wilkins" <gregw@webtide.com> wrote:

> However, I hope that this type of mass update is a once off due
> to the circumstances we find in starting off the WG.  In general
> I think it would be far easier handle changes in smaller
> increments and individual threads.    Also it would be good
> to see proposed diffs to the draft before they are actually
> just put in the draft.   Sorry - don't mean to rain on your
> parade when you've done so much.

The chairs were concerned about the number of changes that had to flow
through the IETF backend systems associated with many small changes.  Larger
changes getting batched up before formal submittal is the way we want to go
for now.

Keep in mind that we'll need to have consensus over the whole document by
the time we're done, so I don't see a need to propose individual chunks of
text before they're inserted in the document, particularly at this early
stage.

At the same time, particularly as this becomes a WG draft, a quick "I'm
about to..." mail to the list before a large change will help build that
consensus more quickly.  Each working group is a little different in this
regard, and we're still trying to find out what works for this crowd.

Of course, as always, whenever proposing a change to the document, it is
much more likely to get included in the way you want if you also propose
text.

--
Joe Hildebrand
(as chair)