RE: Varying meeting venue -- why?

"John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com> Thu, 19 August 2010 22:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:40:35 -0400
From: "John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Subject: RE: Varying meeting venue -- why?
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

> If someone offered to sponsor a meeting there, I bet the IETF would
> consider it.  First, it actually has an airport, and second there is
> alternative public transportation: bus service from Syracuse, Rochester,
> Buffalo, etc.  That should fit right in with Maastricht.

I get the strong impression you've never been to Ithaca.  If you can't get
a spot on one of the small planes that flies to the Ithaca airport you
will find that it is so slow and painful to get here from the airpots in
Syracuse, Rochester, Binghamton, Elmira, or Buffalo that it's easier to
fly into NYC and take the five hour bus trip from there.  One time I
rented a car in Ithaca and dropped it off in Rochester two hours later,
paying a drop fee, because that was far easier and cheaper than any
alternative.

It's a swell place to live, but it'd be miserable for a large meeting.
It's not Maastricht, even after Maastricht gets rid of the drug tourism.

R's,
John