Re: What's an experiment?

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Thu, 16 February 2006 02:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 03:25:20 +0100
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: What's an experiment?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Brian,
ICANN ICP-3 document called for a DNS test-bed to carry experiments
in a given framework (to test various DNS evolutions including the
end of the root). The document lists interesting criteria/conditions.
Some are related to the DNS (non profit, ultimate agreement by the
community). Of the head two are important: reversibility and no harm
to the current operations. The "non profit" can be generailised: if a
community effort is carried to commonly consider an evolution, every
option should be considered and equally supported. Experiments must
not be a way to impose personnal or affinity group doctrines and DoE
(Denial of Evolution). Reversibility would also mean the result
cannot be published as BCP. It may reflect the practice of a group.
But it would not be acceptable to impose it to non participants as
there is no proof it would scale - before the experience convers the
whole network. This means that experience may be a way to deploy or
to transition. Should the IETF has started a large scale IPv6
experimentation, may be would we have IPv6 by competition to the
RIRs. This has been considered.
jfc