Re: What's an experiment?

Peter Dambier <peter@peter-dambier.de> Thu, 16 February 2006 14:53 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:53:36 +0100
From: Peter Dambier <peter@peter-dambier.de>
To: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: What's an experiment?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Joe Baptista wrote:
> JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
>
>> Dear Brian,
>> ICANN ICP-3 document called for a DNS test-bed to carry experiments in
>> a given framework (to test various DNS evolutions including the end of
>> the root). The document lists interesting criteria/conditions. Some
>> are related to the DNS (non profit, ultimate agreement by the
>> community). Of the head two are important: reversibility and no harm
>> to the current operations. The "non profit" can be generailised: if a
>> community effort is carried to commonly consider an evolution, every
>> option should be considered and equally supported. Experiments must
>> not be a way to impose personnal or affinity group doctrines and DoE
>> (Denial of Evolution). Reversibility would also mean the result cannot
>> be published as BCP. It may reflect the practice of a group. But it
>> would not be acceptable to impose it to non participants as there is
>> no proof it would scale - before the experience convers the whole
>> network. This means that experience may be a way to deploy or to
>> transition. Should the IETF has started a large scale IPv6
>> experimentation, may be would we have IPv6 by competition to the RIRs.
>> This has been considered.
>> jfc
>

> Thats happening regardless of the IETF - www.public-root.com,
> www.inaic.com and www.unifiedroot.com.  Failed experiments result in
> successful evolution.
>
> regards
> joe

Dont forget

http://www.opennic.unrated.net/
http://dot-root.com/
http://root.5wc.ch/

Those who are not commercial are difficult to reach sometimes.
E.g. http://www.opennic.unrated.net/ sometimes can be reached
only as http://www.opennic.glue and you have to add

host_name("131.161.247.68","www.opennic.glue").

to your /etc/hosts to find them.

Still they have nameservers and they happily communicate with
each other without ICANN even nowing about their existence.

Cheers

Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier