Re: Revised IAOC Administrative Procedures draft

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Mon, 13 September 2010 17:31 UTC

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
To: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Revised IAOC Administrative Procedures draft
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:32:16 -0400

I've generally stayed out of this discussion, but let me offer a word
of support to Bob, et al re maintaining some flexibility.  There are
two very strong protections already in place in this system.  First,
the operation of the IAOC -- and IASA -- are fully documented and
visible.  If the IAOC does something inappropriate, it will become
visible and everyone will learn from it. Second, bills get paid
through ISOC's normal processes.  ISOC has a set of controls in place
to document expenses and make sure they follow the expected set of
rules.  In addition to these strong protections, a questionable
expenditure, even if it's several thousand dollars, isn't going to go
irreparable harm to the IETF or ISOC.  Trying to prescribe a strict
set of rules in addition to these protections is counterproductive and
may remove flexibility that's needed for the benefit of the IETF at
some future time.

The IETF's success, and, indeed, the success of the whole Internet,
has come from maximum flexibility and minimum a priori rules and
permissions.  We can easily afford to wait for the IAOC to screw up in
some egregious fashion before we have to draft and administer rules to
prevent subsequent abuses.  In the meantime, let the IAOC do its job
on behalf of the community.

Steve

Full disclosure: I was on the committee that formulated the IAOC and I
served on the IAOC for a period of time.