Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Thu, 15 January 2009 13:24 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:24:08 -0500
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:09 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

> I have to agree with Andrew and Tom.
>
> If someone stood up in a WG prior to whenever 5378 was
> effective* and made a suggestion of some length, or made a
> lengthy textual suggestion on a mailing list, and I copied that
> suggestion into a draft without any paraphrasing, a plain-sense

John, I am not a lawyer, you are (AFAIK) not a lawyer, and if the IETF
counsel
says otherwise, I would just let this one lie.

The reason why I do not agree with this reasoning is that these rights
are
claimed through authorship. If I do not claim authorship in your draft
because you use my text, when I have ample opportunity to do so, then
I have (in my opinion)
effectively lost them, especially in this context (where there is a
note well,
an assumption of joint contributions, etc.).

In another context, I know that this is why songwriters
can be so vociferous about getting their name as co-authors when a
song is published - that is how they get royalties.

Yes, I am sure that there are corner cases here, but one thing
I have found about legal affairs is that there are always corner cases.
No legal matter is ever sewn up 100%, and judges actually do take into
consideration when things are done "on advise of counsel." We have it,
we should use it.

Regards
Marshall