Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 07 February 2019 07:18 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the use of the “Updates” header
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 01:18:50 -0600
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
To: ietf@ietf.org

Hi Everyone,

I would like to bring some closure to this discussion.

The IESG has discussed the feedback from this thread. We heard that a number of people would like “Updates” to mean something more formal, such as a normative change, or an update that means implementers need to make changes. We heard that some are concerned that we are focusing too much on the standards track. We heard from others supporting the more informal interpretation that we originally proposed. We did not hear a clear consensus.

At this point, a formal IESG statement does not seem warranted. However, we would like to remind everyone that different people make different assumptions about what it means for one RFC to update another. The important thing is for a given RFC to make its intent clear. We suggest that authors and working groups consider including such explanations early and prominently in documents that purport to update RFCs.

The IESG recognizes that there would be value in being able to express a more formal “updates” relationship. At the same time, there is value in allowing an informal “see also” or “For Your Information" (FYI) relationship. We are considering starting work to create a new “FYI” relationship to be used for the less formal situations. Please watch this space for updates.

Thanks!

Ben (Campbell).