RANT: posting IDs more often -- more is better -- why are we so shy?

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 01 March 2017 16:04 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RANT: posting IDs more often -- more is better -- why are we so shy?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 11:04:26 -0500

For the third time in two days I find myself, when asking others for opinions
about some text, pointing at github commit logs.  With the beautiful
makefiles we often have, one can't even depend upon having a formatted .txt
version there!

This is not a rant for or against git or github, but rather about what I
perceive as a shyness about posting intermediate versions of Internet Drafts
to the datatracker.

I understand that in academia, they never like letting half-baked ideas out,
and so the -00 that we see from academics are often overdue and overly
polished.  I know I can't fight that, but at least the -01, etc. could be
issued faster?

I've even heard some push back from people along the lines of, "wow, that ID
has 27 revisions, is it really stable?", and my feelings have often been more
along the lines of, "wow, that revision has 27 revisions, the authors are
really keen and responsive".

I appreciate for some reviewers that having more revisions implies that they
think they have to look at the text more often.

But given the diff utilities, it shouldn't matter how many revisions there
were before times you look, as you can just skip the intermediate versions.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-