Re: Draft IAB conflict of interest policy

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Thu, 16 January 2020 22:06 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Draft IAB conflict of interest policy
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:06:37 +1300
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>

Randy

> On 17/01/2020, at 10:41 AM, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
>
> would being on the board of one or both pir and isoc, and be the exec
> dir if ietf (paid from pir money), be a conflict?

Since you’re talking about me, though not to me, allow me to respond.

A conflict of interest comes about where someone is in a position to influence something improperly.  In the case of the PIR/ISOC/IETF relationship, PIR provides money to ISOC following guidelines set by ISOC and has no say at all in how that money is used by ISOC.  To be clear, PIR does not recommend to ISOC how the money is used, does not put any restrictions on how the money is used, does not ask for any reports on how the money is used and so on.  So to describe it as "PIR money" is incorrect, it is ISOC’s money and they do with it as they wish.

In that context, no there is no conflict of interest.

There are other ways in which it could be a conflict of interest, such as if the LLC were to approach PIR directly for funding, in which case I would recuse myself on both sides.

> would being on the board of of both isoc and pir be a conflict in this
> messy deal?

The two boards have separate memberships.

> asking for a friend

If your friend would like to ask me questions like this directly, privately or publicly, then they are welcome to do so.  You may also wish to point your friend at my published Conflict of Interest statement [1]

kind regards
Jay

[1] https://ietf.org/media/documents/Daley_-_IETF_LLC_Conflict_of_Interest_Form_-_v1_-_20191031.pdf

--