Re: [Int-area] Middleboxes to aid the deployment of MPTCP

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 19 July 2017 15:57 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:57:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Middleboxes to aid the deployment of MPTCP

[Med] This is not the actual proposal. The proxy is explicitly configured so that all packets are sent to it directly. That is, the destination address of outgoing packets will be set to the one of that proxy.

 so the assumed requirement is that packets for the flow go
> though the same network node by virtue of routing. For a firewall in a
> single-homed site to the Internet this works because the firewall is
> the only egress/ingress point to the network. If a site is
> multi-homed, then the hope is that routing of packets in both
> directions will go through the same point. But there is absolutely no
> requirement that network layer packets for a flow are always routed
> the same way, and if routing does change and packets need to flow
> through different points the session breaks.

[Med] I fully agree with you. But, we are not in a transparent/implicit mode.

> If I'm reading the draft correctly, then it has the same property of
> maintaining transport state in the network so it implies the same
> requirement that all packets for a flow follow the same path.

[Med] We don't have such requirement.  The proxy is not supposed to be on one of the default forwarding paths; all what we require is that it is reachable using any of the available paths. Subflows can be placed using any or all of the available paths.

> Personally,  would find it ironic that a a protocol to allow muli-path
> transport would require the network layer to be single path.

[Med] Sorry, but we don’t have such constraint/requirement. See my explanation above.