Re: [IPFIX] Export of long lived flow information

John Court <johnwcrt@au1.ibm.com> Wed, 24 October 2012 06:02 UTC

To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
From: John Court <johnwcrt@au1.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:00:58 +1000
Cc: ipfix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Export of long lived flow information

Hi Brian,

I suspect I have been mis-interpreting your concept of "persistent
caches".  From the way you describe it, I would categorise what I export
from as a persistent cache.  The reason being that for packet processing
efficiency reasons, all the "connection" concepts are kept in one place
and that includes the accounting (i.e. packets, octets).  I only get to
see these periodically or on connection close. In IPFIX terminology the
meter isn't resetting the flowStartTime or doing actual flow termination
outside of detection of "connection" termination.  Perhaps it could but
that time may be used in other processing, I will have to see.

I am not arguing with any of your points.  I see the logic behind the
operation, I just need to adjust some outputs for long lived connections.

Thanks

John Court