RE: [Ipoverib] Please read - proposed WG termination

"Yaron Haviv" <yaronh@voltaire.com> Tue, 30 August 2005 19:40 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] Please read - proposed WG termination
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:40:12 +0300
From: Yaron Haviv <yaronh@voltaire.com>
To: Michael Krause <krause@cup.hp.com>, Vivek Kashyap <kashyapv@us.ibm.com>
Cc: margaret@thingmagic.com, ipoverib@ietf.org, Bill_Strahm@McAfee.com
Sender: ipoverib-bounces@ietf.org

________________________________

From: Michael Krause [mailto:krause@cup.hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:47 PM
To: Vivek Kashyap; Yaron Haviv
Cc: ipoverib@ietf.org; margaret@thingmagic.com; Bill_Strahm@McAfee.com

Am I missing something here?  I don't recall ever having to tell
everyone to unarp when I migrate an IP address from one NIC to another.
The network stack issues the new address and remote endnodes note the
change.  I don't recall ever having to tell everyone when I migrate a
MAC address from one NIC to another.  Why is IB any different in this
regard for either of these cases?  The layer 2 address which includes
all of the parameters subject to change is updated and the remote
endnodes note the change.  What is so hard about that?

Mike

<Yaron>

The scenario you present is true for a case with a node supporting
single/few IP addresses

That is not a case for routers that relay on MAC spoofing solutions
(VRRP protocol for example)

In a case of a router there are many IP addresses that can traverse a
single MAC, in some cases the IP addresses are unknown, that's why
instead or taking over an IP address, you take over the MAC which result
in a much faster and robust take-over, this (MAC spoofing) is used in
variety of applications today that would have hard time with IB.

The problem is that in IB unlike GbE you cannot take over the MAC

This requires to either find an IB way to take over the MAC (GID/LID+QP)
or invalidate the IP-MAC relation on the sender side

An example can be seen in:

RFC2176 - IPv4 over MAPOS, that uses UNARP to invalidate the ARP cache
for the same reasons

<Yaron>