Re: [ippm] Fwd: Expiration impending: draft-ietf-ippm-reporting-metrics

Daniel Genin <dgenin@nist.gov> Tue, 17 January 2012 23:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:03:06 -0500
From: Daniel Genin <dgenin@nist.gov>
To: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] Fwd: Expiration impending: draft-ietf-ippm-reporting-metrics

A very lucid and well written exposition on the relevance of metric's
consumer to the way that it should be defined. It is surprising this
important point has not been addressed earlier.

Just a couple of comments:

I. In Section 5.1.2 the bulleted list item 2 appears to suggest that
orthogonality of metrics is a desirable property, however, no
explanation for this is given. Moreover, metrics appearing in Section 6
do not appear to be orthogonal suggesting that orthogonality is not a
necessary property. If orthogonality is a desirable property in the case
of delay and loss metrics but not in the case of raw capacity metrics
this probably needs to be clarified.

II. Minor grammatical corrections:
     1. Section 5.2, Paragraph 1, line 5 "...is based a conditional
distribution..." should probably be "...is based on a conditional
distribution...".
     2. Section 6.2, the first letter of the title needs to be capitalized.
     3. Section 6.6, Paragraph 1, line 2 "...gives a the user..." should
probably be "...gives the user..."
     4. Section 6.6, Paragraph 2, line 1 "What ways can Utilization  be
measured..." should probably be "In what ways can Utilization be
measured..." or "How can Utilization be measured..."
     5. Section 7.5, Paragraph 1, line 2 "...gives a the user..." should
probably be "...gives the user..."

Hope this is useful.
Best regards,
Daniel