Re: [ippm] draft-baillargeon-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets

steve.baillargeon@videotron.ca Fri, 08 April 2011 04:12 UTC

From: steve.baillargeon@videotron.ca
To: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 00:14:21 -0400
Cc: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] draft-baillargeon-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets

Hi Al
I think we are going in circles.

Yes the Session-Reflector needs to be the an efficient process and the proposed draft does not change that.

Current Session-Reflectors already parse through test packet fields today. We just continue to extend this mechanism to a section of the TWAMP padding octets.
The actual implementation is actually very simple to implement.

It is much easier to identify and process the packets belonging to a "train" if the "train information" is carried within the test packet.
It also enables other capabilities like variable train size and TWAMP light which are important cases to consider.

The inter-packet interval will always vary. Why would you remove it from Test? Without it, different train rates within the same test session cannot be tested.

The SD is a lightweight flag to improve the demultiplexing of the test packets to the correct test session. Why would you remove it from Test?

-Steve