Re: [ippm] draft-baillargeon-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets

Svante Ekelin <svante.ekelin@ericsson.com> Tue, 03 May 2011 14:23 UTC

From: Svante Ekelin <svante.ekelin@ericsson.com>
To: Christofer Flinta <christofer.flinta@ericsson.com>, Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>, 'Henk Uijterwaal' <henk@uijterwaal.nl>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 16:21:13 +0200
acceptlanguage: sv-SE, en-US
Subject: Re: [ippm] draft-baillargeon-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets

Hi Xiangsong,

Christofer already answered your first comment, and I will try to answer the questions in the other two comments you made.

As noted below by Christofer, an aim of this draft is extending TWAMP to provide a mechanism which will allow capacity measurement in both the forward and reverse path, by transmitting test packets as a train at a specified rate in the forward path, and then reflected as a train with another specified rate in the reverse path.

So, with regard to your second comment, as the controller (or the Session-Sender) may be engaged in multiple concurrent measurement sessions, it needs to be able to identify to which session a reflected test packet belongs, i.e. demultiplexing.

As for the third comment, the first MUST is due to the fact that the controller needs to be able to specify the rate of the train in the reverse path. As you quote from RFC5357, the send schedule for test packets is not used in the baseline TWAMP. The same is true for the new proposed TWAMP mode. The MAY statement in RFC5357 regarding the autonomous decision on the send schedule at the source is not in conflict with the MUST statement in the draft. For instance, the actual inter-packet interval may be autonomously decided by the Control-Client and Session-Sender, or it may be done by another node or application, but the decision MUST be known at the source since the destination (e.g Session-Reflector) is only reflecting the test packets at the specified rate.

The second MUST is simply a statement of the size relation between the packet interval and the transmission time tt, as is illustrated in the picture on page 5 of the draft.

Hope this helps,
-- Svante