Re: Hop-by-hop [not draft-han-6man-in-band-signaling-for-transport-qos-00.txt]

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 20 October 2017 15:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:34:43 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Hop-by-hop [not draft-han-6man-in-band-signaling-for-transport-qos-00.txt]
References: <1D30AF33624CDD4A99E8C395069A2A162CD734B2@sjceml521-mbx.china.huawei.com> <a4da4b26-6402-ad0d-a5f5-5bddc192b8f7@gmail.com> <4E40E3EF-B0E5-490E-BFF2-0511D97E9E80@employees.org> <CALx6S341v1zd2Q9bts8-zrKxU59kieJTJJ=nHQ5w4oQZg=t_cA@mail.gmail.com> <17525287-DDA8-4930-B90B-F9228DF69A90@employees.org> <CALx6S37wLvuJ9tUGjYmzm63eq_bxq0jXSEgfCtH_2i74SvrbLA@mail.gmail.com> <20171017181646.GD31973@faui40p.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <e7da5913-1fd9-a476-e654-44cb5cfdc10c@gmail.com> <20171019212353.GC878@faui40p.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <e4f7ea8b-ce0e-d829-7b1e-b53c3a890355@gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:20:40PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> The protocol design really shouldn't talk about implementation choices
> in routers and the fact that FPGA people hate the IPv6 extension header
> design like the plague, which has led to broken implementations. In 1994
> there weren't any 'fast path' router designs, iirc, and the design simply
> didn't consider this problem to be a problem.
>
> So the assumption was that
> the forwarder CPU would pass on the whole header, and would only branch
> off the main code path if it saw a HbH header. I know we're 20 years
> later, but logically that hasn't changed. The problem is that many vendors
> didn't implement it; they sacrificed correctness for speed.

If you failed twice betting your architecture on correct implementations,
maybe its time to try stronger DO and DONTs and explore other options
to achieve a better result.

Lets also remember that TLS is also seen as a tool to avoid broken
middleboxes to mess up your traffic flow. However good intentioned
the middlebox may be. So its not a bad idea to consider using encryption
to allow only those onpath devices that you trust (to at least work
correctly) to be able to do anything. Not easy to design, but possible.
But something that would make me prefer doing it in a common "flow-layer"
above IP instead of IP extension headers. Like what SPUD was suggesting
as well. I also hate the fact that we're redefining the transport prototcol
every time we need to improve something. Like we do now with QUIC.  Should
really start to think more about reusable transport layers.

> We agree on badly implemented ;-). IPv4 Options are badly implemented, too.

"Judge, its in my genes, my mother already exposed the same bad traits"

Yeah, that defense is known to reduce sentencing time but should
also make you want to design the next generation differently.

> If they want to use X they need to buy routers that support X.

http://dilbert.com/strip/2001-04-14

Enough comic relief ;-)

Cheers
    Toerless