Re: Comments on draft-yourtchenko-colitti-nd-reduce-multicast

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Tue, 25 February 2014 14:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:10:31 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>, "Eric Levy- Abegnoli (elevyabe)" <elevyabe@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-yourtchenko-colitti-nd-reduce-multicast
Cc: Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch@cisco.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>

On 2/22/14 4:08 PM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:

> [...]
Mark,

I understand the potential benefits of doing this for multicast.
Are you also looking at requiring it for unicast?
(Direct host-host unicast would seem more efficient - but in some use
cases with filtering requirements it would make sense to send those via
the router as well.)

> - Allow RA PIOs to announce the link-local prefix, to switch the on-link assumption for the link-local prefix off (the A bit in the PIO would be ignored for the LL prefix)
>
> - Routers perform a limited form of ND proxying to facilitate hosts that don't support this LL RA PIO. ND proxying only occurs for Link-Local addresses.
*If* we need to solve this I think that is a reasonable design.

We do need to look at ttl=255 in a bit more detail - I assume you'd
decrement ttl when the routers forward link-locals back out on the link.

> The only issue I think that is left open after this link-local issue is host originated multicasts. The link-layer forwarding model would force them to only be received by the router(s) at the hub(s). The question is how do the multicasts reach the other hosts on the link?
>
> Simplistically, the router could just flood the multicasts back to all hosts on the link (continuing to use the link-layer's broadcast/multicast capability retained for the devices at the hub(s)). I don't know if that is legal, but assuming it is, would the multicast origin host ignore its own multicasts? It could tell they were its own because the source address would be one of its own. I've had a bit of a look into the RFCs to see if this router and host multicast behaviour is defined, but haven't been able to find it.
DAD as currently defined would break, since DAD can't cope with hearing
its own packets.
But if we do that differently (enhanced-dad draft with nonce, or address
registration) that wouldn't be an issue for hosts that implement that
new approach. Still need to handle legacy hosts doing current DAD though
... need to think about that one.

Once DAD is taken care of and we assume unique link-layer addresses,
then having the host ignore multicast packets with its own IP source
address will ensure that other protocols/applications don't see any change.

> Alternatively, the router could selectively forward the multicasts back to all hosts on the link except the one it received it from. This could be achieved using link-layer unicasts and "MLDv2 Procedures for Link-Layer Unicast Delivery of Multicast IPv6" (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-mldv2-link-unicast-00).
That would be hard to implement in existing hardware. The hardware which
performs multicast replication assumes the same packet is being
replicated (with some handling of ttl decrement vs. not in order to
handle the bridge-route-bridge paradigm for devices that are both
routers and bridges i.e. where some ports see a L2 forwarded multicast
packet and other ports get the same packet after a ttl decrement by the
L3 forwarding function.)

Regards,
    Erik