Re: Comments on draft-yourtchenko-colitti-nd-reduce-multicast

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Tue, 25 February 2014 11:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 03:10:47 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-yourtchenko-colitti-nd-reduce-multicast
Cc: Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch@cisco.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>

On 2/25/14 1:12 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:

> I don't see how we can do this without host changes even for the case of
> IA_NA and IA_TA DHCP assigned addresses; the hosts would need to remove
> the code which does the DAD check for DHCP. (And there would be
> additional DHCP protocol changes needed to support CGA and
> stable-privacy-addresses and any future address assignment scheme.)
> I think a DAD Proxy is what you're looking for -
>
> RFC6957 - "Duplicate Address Detection Proxy."
Mark,

RFC 6957 is useful for some types of deployment.

But it don't see how it relates to my observation (in response to Ole)
that DHCPv6 doesn't help with different forms of address assignment and
DAD. Even with DAD proxy, or some other form of DAD enhancement, we'd
still do address assignment (SLAAC, DHCPv6, stable-private, etc)
separately from DAD.

> More broadly though, I think a method that supports any forms of multicast from a host to the other hosts on the link, hair-pinned through the upstream router(s), would be better. It would support DAD operation, and would also support other multicasts from hosts, such as Multicast DNS for device (printer) discovery, and SSDP for DLNA server discovery.
You mean instead of hair-pinning at L2 (through the AP) do the
hair-pinning at L3 (through the router)?

Would the router decrement ttl as it forwards those packets?
(If not, then I think you are talking about hair-pinning at L2 but
placing it in the router.)
Note that L2 hair-pinning typically (always?) does split horizon, hence
you'd need to it in the devices along the path from the sender to the
router (e.g., the AP) if you want to ensure that all receivers can get a
copy of the packet.
Hair-pinning can potentially be avoided for L3 - if the router
decrements ttl then it would be safer to send the multicast packet out
the input port.

However, ttl decrements break the protocols that use the ttl=255 check
(and ND isn't the only protocol which does this.)

Regards,
    Erik