Re: Node Requirements: Elevating DHCPv6 from MAY to SHOULD

"Brzozowski, John" <John_Brzozowski@Cable.Comcast.com> Sun, 15 May 2011 12:34 UTC

From: "Brzozowski, John" <John_Brzozowski@Cable.Comcast.com>
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>, John Loughney <john.loughney@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: Node Requirements: Elevating DHCPv6 from MAY to SHOULD
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:33:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [147.191.125.12]
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>

Ralph, Thomas, John,

The attributes that come to mind are those that are DNS related via
RFC6106.  In theory I suppose what John mentioned could be an issue,
however, in a broadband DOCSIS environment we only support stateful DHCPv6
for provisioning today as such I do not anticipate seeing these sort of
issues in this scenario.  I could sooner see the issue John raises
occurring in an enterprise or within a home network, especially the
latter.  Regarding the latter, we have seen home router implementations
that issue link local addresses and global unicast addresses
simultaneously via RFC6106 for DNS server addresses.  This has since been
corrected.

John
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable