Re: [ipwave] Communication between the car and the Traffic Lights

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 05 December 2018 11:02 UTC

To: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <sgundave@cisco.com>, "its@ietf.org" <its@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 12:02:22 +0100
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Communication between the car and the Traffic Lights

Le 05/12/2018 à 03:36, Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) a écrit :
> Alex,
>
> Ack! We did face some interop/parsing issues with some of the BSM
> messages that are there in the public domain. We were not aware of
> the fact that the current version of J2735 has no backward
> compatibility with the pre-2009 version, which some of the public
> domain PCAP files appears to be based of. But, looks like there
> should not be many implementations of pre-2009, so hopefully we can
> ignore them. But, we are looking for a good set of PCAP files that we
> can test against.
>
> Below points are great points, but not sure what we can do here in
> this group.

We could put something on IP/OCB between car and Traffic Lights.

That could be: SPAT/XER/IP/OCB, DIASER/UDP/IP/OCB (DIASER is a protocol
for traffic lights in France used over Ethernet, not over OCB),
PRESTO/IP/OCB (PRESTO is an ISO protocol for traffic lights).

Some company building RSUs have already developped other protocols than
SPAT or DIASER or PRESTO, which does run over HTTP/IP.

In this there are obvious accessibility aspects to the specs.  (e.g.
SPAT 2016 is paying but SPAT 2009 is free at a place, DIASER is only
paying, HTTP/IP is free, etc.)  This makes deployment cumbersome.

We could also build our own IPWAVE protocol for the car to talk to the
traffic lights.  That spec would obviously be open.

Alex