Re: [jose] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption-09.txt

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 25 April 2013 20:55 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:55:08 -0700
Cc: jose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [jose] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption-09.txt

Mike,

There are two possible reasons for me to make the statement.

First - that it is unacceptable that we are making the statement that the
use of AES-GCM - the current standard AEAD algorithm - cannot be used with
this or

Second - that the statement of non-use is insufficiently broad to cover the
needed cases.  The correct statement would be that

This JSON serialization format re-uses the same IV/Key pair for multiple
recipients.  This means that the algorithm used MUST NOT have any issues
with IV/Key pair re-use.  It is known at this time this will eliminate the
ability to use any algorithm which uses counter mode for encryption.  Among
the AEAD algorithms that use counter mode for their encryption mode is
AES-GCM and thus AES-GCM MUST NOT be used with multiple recipients.

It is noted that almost all (if not all) of the current crop of AEAD
algorithms are using CTR mode and thus cannot be used with this
specification.

Jim

As I said
> to Richard Barnes over dinner last night, while unpleasant, and possibly
> surprising to those who aren't familiar to how GCM actually works, as an
> editor, I viewed including the statement that "AES GCM MUST NOT be used
> when using the JWE JSON Serialization for multiple recipients, since this
would
> result in the same Initialization Vector and Plaintext values being used
for
> multiple GCM encryptions" as necessary, and "truth in advertising".
>
> 				-- Mike

Jim