Re: [sasl] MOGGIES Proposed Charter

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> Tue, 18 May 2010 21:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:09:17 -0400
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
To: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@oracle.com>, Shawn Emery <shawn.emery@oracle.com>
Subject: Re: [sasl] MOGGIES Proposed Charter
Cc: kitten@ietf.org, Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>, sasl@ietf.org, jhutz@cmu.edu

--On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 02:15:22 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas.Williams@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:12:33PM -0600, Shawn Emery wrote:
>> As discussed; attached is the proposed charter text for a new
>> working group (MOGGIES) based on future direction in the GSS-API and
>> SASL space.  Please provide any feed-back to the lists by the end of
>> May.
>
> I don't love the name (I keep thinking "MOOGIES", which sounds like
> something gross :), but I'll live; I have no better suggestions.

I don't even _understand_ the name.  Or the expansion.
Can't we have something that doesn't make me (and anyone not already
familiar with what we're working on) go "Huh?" ?

>> This working group will review SASL related submissions as well,
>> including any new SASL mechanisms proposed.
>
> New SASL mechanisms?  Why not new GSS-API mechanisms?  Why not close the
> WG (and even SASL) to new non-GS2 mechanisms?  Might there be conflicts
> with EMU?

This WG should review proposals for new SASL and GSS-API mechanisms, and
such work should be considered to fall within its general scope, but it
should be constrained to actually work only on mechanisms specifically
listed in the charter.  If we want to work on a new mechanism, we can amend
the charter.

It should also be willing to provide advice and review on non-mechanism
proposals such as defining use of SASL or GSS-API in a new or existing
protocol.  However, actual work on such proposals should be done in the
relevant WG for the protocol in question, and _not_ in the new one.

-- Jeff