Re: [lisp] Call for adoption of draft-farinacci-lisp-lcaf-10

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Fri, 07 September 2012 00:43 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:43:31 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [lisp] Call for adoption of draft-farinacci-lisp-lcaf-10

Hi Yakov,

I disagree with you that it describes its use for L2VPN. It provides the
ability to use a MAC as an EID. There are no normative verbs used, and
noting the experimental nature of the draft I must admit that I am
struggling to see the basis for your objection given that the LCAF draft is
an underlying modification to the LISP control messages (in that it does
fall in the mandate of the charter).

Putting on my 'research advocacy' hat, and highlighting that all of the
protocol documents issued by LISP are chartered to be experimental, I feel
perfectly comfortable having the documents from the LISP experiment not shy
away from the existence of, or the possibility of, encapsulating other
address formats.

I will draw a line the minute the LISP WG attempts to impose or change
behaviors on the documented work from another chartered WG, and will happily
direct (as written in the charter) any such work to the appropriate WG.

Cheers
Terry