Re: [lp-wan] overview draft with some text...

Jiazi Yi <ietf@jiaziyi.com> Sat, 29 October 2016 22:19 UTC

From: Jiazi Yi <ietf@jiaziyi.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 00:19:16 +0200
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: lp-wan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] overview draft with some text...

Dear Stephen,

Thanks a lot for the work!

A general comment before going into details:

When introducing characteristics and performance of different technologies, I think we need to pay attention that:

	1) focus on the objective characteristics, such as frequency band, bandwidth, data rate, etc. I would avoid using text like “foo has battery life of XXX years” or “bar can support YYY devices in a single cell”. Those kind of characteristics depend on highly on the configuration of the network, application traffic pattern, network environment, etc. It’s very hard to extract useful information from such kind of assertions.

	2) For each technology, we talk only the current characteristics, not the targeting characteristics (especially those long target).

	3) It’s welcome to report implementation status of different technologies, but if the contributors choose to do so, please provide a bit more details (such as the scale of the deployment, applications running over it, etc.), with appropriate references.

The purpose is to have an objective standard as possible for all the technologies listed in the draft. We have to admit that, although we (all?) agree, and called out explicitly that this document is NOT intended to compare which technology is better, we couldn’t stop the readers from making such kind of comparison.

regards

Jiazi