Re: [Lsr] A new version of I-D, draft-liu-lsr-isis-ifit-node-capability-02

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Mon, 30 March 2020 09:47 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 05:47:42 -0400
Cc: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
To: wangyali <wangyali11@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] A new version of I-D, draft-liu-lsr-isis-ifit-node-capability-02

Hi Yali,

I think the overall concept of ifit is interesting enough. My concern is that we aren't adding things to routing protocols (in particular IGPs) simply to allow for another way of configuring applications in the network. This is what netconf/YANG etc, are for.

If I were trying to code this system up as a solution to sell it to customers (I'm not but..), rather than starting off by trying to modify all the IETF routing protocols to add capability advertisements (hard sell), I'd use the protocols for router discovery (already done, no standards action needed), and then netconf/restconf/whatever YANG to determine the router's capability for doing IFIT stuff, just as I would to configure those same capabilities.

Since you aren't trying to enable/disable/configure IFIT protocols with the IGP/routing protocols (this is good!), why can't you just use the same mechanism you use for enable/disable/configure for discovery as well?

Thanks,
Chris.
[as WG member]