Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Call for "Algorithm Related IGP-Adjacency SID Advertisement"

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Fri, 28 May 2021 10:07 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Peter Psenak <ppsenak@cisco.com>, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:07:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.243.143]
Subject: Re: [Lsr] LSR WG Adoption Call for "Algorithm Related IGP-Adjacency SID Advertisement"

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Please see inline:

I share the similar opinion with you.

> I don't care much about the other use cases to be honest, but I see no reason
> why an implementation can not associate local resources on a per algo basis.
> Sure, algo is not in the packet, but there are various indirect ways of doing that.
> All local behavior.

If all of these are local behavior, IMO they do not need to be described in this draft.

> > Here are some comments about this change to Flex-Algo:
> >
> > 1. Flex-Algo defines the constraints for path computation in a distributed
> manner, it is not for resource reservation.
> >
> > 2. Reserving resources for each Flex-Algo on a link does not make sense. The
> correlation between Flex-Algo and the network links is based on administrative
> groups (color), and the color of the link may or may not be included in the
> Flex-Algo definition. To follow the color based link correlation, a more practical
> approach would be to use Flex-Algo with L2 bundle as defined in
> draft-zhu-lsr-isis-sr-vtn-flexalgo, which uses color to correlate the L3 link and
> the L2 member link to a Flex-Algo, this avoids the extension for per-FlexAlgo
> resource reservation.
>
> "correlation between Flex-Algo and the network links is based on
> administrative groups" - that's one way of doing so. There are others.

OK, my point is Flex-Algo uses link constraints (color, SRLG, bandwidth constraint, etc.) in the FAD to associate it with a set of links, rather than configuring the Flex-Algo ID explicitly on the links.

> > 3. The Flex-Algo link TE attributes are advertised using ASLA, the TE
> attributes are shared by all Flex-Algos which include the link according to the
> FAD, and based on previous discussion, it seems there is no intention to
> introduce per Flex-Algo ID link attributes.
>
> that's right, but I see no direct relationship with the above.

Thanks for confirming that there is no intention to introduce per Flex-Algo ID link attributes. Taking this and the above item into consideration, I assume the current Flex-Algo model does not support per Flex-Algo ID based queue and bandwidth configuration on a link.

> Anyway, I'm not a big fun of IETF documents describing local behaviors
> which are not needed for interoperability, so keeping these things out
> of the draft would be fine with me.

Agreed, removing those use cases and operation text which are not related to Flex-Algo interoperability would make this document simpler.

Best regards,
Jie