Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6 (was: Geocoordinates)

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Wed, 11 March 2009 04:09 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:10:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6 (was: Geocoordinates)

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> (a) codes for language collections that aren't in 639-5, which could
> be added to BCP 47 as 4-letter primary language subtags (that size is
> currently reserved);

*If* we are to support these code elements, I think this is the right
place to do so.  The 4-letter language subtag was reserved in BCP 47 for
exactly this purpose, and if anyone, such as (ahem) Peter, sees a
conflict with this due to their "derivative use of the language tag
syntax," I'm sorry to say it, but that is a problem of their own making.

> (b) codes for variants other than script and national variants, which
> could be added to BCP 47 as 5-character variant subtags by adding a
> 5th character (I propose prefixing '6').

(and later)

> I wasn't proposing a singleton, but a convention: variant code abcd
> would come into BCP 47 as variant subtag 6abcd, to avoid confusing it
> with script subtags.

I continue to be strongly opposed to adding hundreds or even thousands
of variant subtags, using the same mechanism we currently use to
register variants one by one.  The boonts and fonipas and njivas would
be completely overwhelmed by the oceans of 6xxxx subtags.

If these don't qualify as language subtags, for whatever reason, then
they should be encoded using the extension mechanism described in
Section 3.7 of RFC 4646, preferably with an appropriate singleton such
as '6'.  This would be orders of magnitude more appropriate than
variants.

http://www.ewellic.org