Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6 (was: Geocoordinates)

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Thu, 12 March 2009 01:06 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:02:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6 (was: Geocoordinates)

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> Just because we reserved something for some future possibility -- a
> decision taken without any consideration whatsoever of the merits of
> that possibility -- that doesn't mean that that possibility does have
> merits. For my part, I have always doubted the merits. On that basis,
> and assuming that nothing was likely to come of that possibility, I
> chose to pursue a derivative use in a particular application context.
> If it turns out that a future version of BCP47 does make use of those
> currently-reserved alpha-4 subtags, then indeed the problem will be
> mine (and I'm sure I'll survive). But I can tell you up front that I
> will most likely push back on a revision to make use of the reserved
> alpha-4 subtags not only because it's inconvenient for my derivative
> application but also because I remain very skeptical that there will
> be benefits (let alone ROI, considering the costs).

We're talking about two separate issues here:

1. Whether the RFC 4646 decision to reserve 4-letter language subtags
"for future use," widely assumed to be ISO 639-6, was a good one, and
specifically whether ISO 639-6-based subtags would add sufficient value
to BCP 47.

2. Whether a future decision on creating 4-letter language subtags, for
whatever reason, should be influenced by the existence of one or more
derivative applications that are non-conformant to BCP 47.

Regarding issue 1, I'm reserving judgment until all of the 639-6 data
becomes publicly available, and until LTRU and/or ietf-languages have
had a chance to look at it and start discussing it.  I also agree with
Martin that some working experience with the 7,500 language subtags
available in the 4646bis era would be helpful.  As you can tell, I do
have opinions about how they should be added *if* they are to be added.

Regarding issue 2, I'm very much against letting this be a contributing
factor.

>> I continue to be strongly opposed to adding hundreds or even
>> thousands of variant subtags, using the same mechanism we currently
>> use to register variants one by one.
>
> Do you mean, "opposed to adding ... thousands of variant subtags _in
> mass_, and prefer to continue ... register[ing] variants one by one"?

I mean I'm opposed to adding thousands of variant subtags, either in
mass *or* one by one, using a formulaic process such as prepending '6'
to thousands of ISO 639-6 code elements.  Variants are supposed to be
proposed, discussed, and approved (or rejected) on a case-by-case basis.
They are not supposed to be a means of shoehorning in another external
standard.  That is what the other two solutions -- 4-letter language
subtags and extensions -- are for.

http://www.ewellic.org