Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Tue, 17 March 2009 12:18 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:18:56 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Ltru] ISO 639-6

I’ll provide this reply and then drop the discussion.

Gerard appears to suppose that, since I refer to “ROI”, I must be speaking on behalf of Microsoft. That is simply not the case. I was speaking as a language technologist expressing my thoughts on what benefits, in practical terms, I think would accrue to language communities around the world. Benefits are not realized simply by having a tagging system that comes with tens of thousands of already-sanctioned elements. Rather, benefits are realized by having a tagging system that accommodates their needs *and* that works in practice and is widely supported. I am strongly influenced by those practical considerations from time I spent in a not-for-profit organization, prior to working for Microsoft, trying to find technology solutions for thousands of language workers working in divers language communities throughout the world, with sizeable investments made in solutions that were *not* widely adopted in industry. Such solutions did not scale and fostered dependence on a small support infrastructure rather than giving long-term empowerment.

In fact, the opinions I was expressing were in line with an opinion I formed some years before I started to work at Microsoft: that sub-language variations are not appropriate objects for a comprehensive encoding because there’s no clear way to define dialects. I first discussed this in 2000, but the first time I published may have been in a paper I presented to a Unicode conference in 2002. The full paper is available here:

http://www.sil.org/silewp/2002/SILEWP2002-003.pdf

See section 4.6, p. 29f:

“It was
claimed earlier that it is possible to enumerate a comprehensive list of individual languages based
on a particular operational definition—to “tile the plane” of languages. In contrast, this is, in
principle, impossible for dialects. The reason has to do with operational definitions….”

I simply hold the same views that I had then.

I’m completely in favour of doing what is good for goodness sake. That is what has motivated my work over the past many years in character encoding and to develop ISO 639-3 and get it incorporated into BCP 47 – I think those have been steps toward goodness from where we were before. (Gerard may think ISO 639 is a mess, but IMO it’s less of a mess and a more well-defined one than it used to be.)

I remain unconvinced that ISO 639-6 will, on the balance, provide overall goodness to BCP 47. Even so, I haven’t done anything to stand in the way of ISO 639-6 as an ISO standard, and I wouldn’t necessarily oppose a revision to BCP 47 to allow ISO 639-6 subtags – depending on how it is handled. All that I said in this thread I would not support is putting these in the reserved alpha-4 subtags. I have various reasons for that, but I’ll refrain from going further in respect of Randy’s request.

Peter