Re: [Ltru] Fw: I-D Action:draft-burnett-pronunciation-alphabet-registry-00.txt

"Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com> Wed, 16 December 2009 16:08 UTC

From: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
To: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:08:07 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Fw: I-D Action:draft-burnett-pronunciation-alphabet-registry-00.txt

Hi,

Actually, I spoke with the authors (they represent the W3C SSML [Speech Synthesis Markup Language] Working Group) last month at W3C TPAC in Santa Clara. The problem they are trying to solve looks superficially like a job for language tags and my first advice to them was to consider registration of subtags, use of language tags, or creation of an extension. However they had reasons to seek a separate registry which didn't seem unreasonable to me at the time.

The main thing is that pronunciation schemes tend to be vendor specific and are not necessarily transcriptions or, in fact, even useful outside the speech synthesis process. It seems unlikely to me that the language subtag registry would take in a wide variety of these things, especially the vendor-specific variations.

I am in receipt of a request to discuss this at today's W3C Internationalization WG call, a non-IETF organization may (or may not) discourage this or at least look further into it.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.