Re: [manet] Recharter Discussion

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Wed, 27 April 2016 09:56 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>, Justin Dean <bebemaster@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:56:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Cc: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] Recharter Discussion

The key points as I see it are:
- We shouldn’t wait for telecon, and can’t rely on telecon and cut out list.
- We are very short of contributors. Many who have contributed have dropped away. And those who have been main creators of WG RFCs (looking at statistics, Clausen and Dearlove in particular, but also others - but not a lot of others, especially after the first batch of Experimental RFCs) may or may not be contributing.
- But even more importantly we need real people (preferably companies with products) using our protocols with real problems. DLEP I think has some real adaptors, though I think most are waiting for an RFC. OLSRv2 is short on companies advertising they are using it - I wish some would (I’m told they exist, but couldn’t name any). AODVv2 (which may or may not be in scope) appears not to have even up to date experimental code (please correct if wrong).
- Hence although we may have some great ideas, it’s not yet clear people want them and we can deliver - DLEP maintenance being I think closest to contradicting that, at least publicly.

There is the horrible warning of Autoconf that went wrong in several ways, but at the end, had no one who would do the work (which is a lot of work, taking longer than you expect) to create a draft and take it all the way. And that means a small team of actual authors, plus wider input.

Incidentally the autoconf problem is still real, but was too narrow. That was considering address autoconfiguration (though the WG never actually got there). As I see it, there’s an inseparable (in terms of thinking about it, drafts may of course separate out details) issue that is of address assignment, identity assignment/management, cryptographic key management, and other forms of management (network management). And several chicken and egg problems that arise in them, especially in ad hoc networks.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 (0)1245 242194  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com<mailto:chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai<http://www.baesystems.com/ai>
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP