Re: [manet] packetbb update idea

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Tue, 04 July 2017 08:51 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Justin Dean <bebemaster@gmail.com>, Henning Rogge <hrogge@gmail.com>
CC: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 08:51:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: Re: [manet] packetbb update idea

As you indicate, that takes multiple TLVs. You can do it with a single TLV (and even indicate directionality, should you want to) by using a multivalue TLV with a bit vector single value. That’s a definite saving in that case.

Really, theirs is a major overhead in introducing a change, it’s a lot more than simply updating 5444. For a start the existing protocols reference version 0. But if the update is to be of any application, do they need updating? And then we have compatibility issues over existing implementations - and we just had a report of an interoperability case. And more. It really has to be a compelling case, and this wouldn’t be that even if the alternative were slightly more inefficient. But it’s not - it’s more efficient.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 3300 467500  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com<mailto:chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai<http://www.baesystems.com/ai>
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP