Re: [marf] Comments on draft-jdfalk-marf-as-00

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <shmuel+mail-abuse-feedback-report@patriot.net> Fri, 02 September 2011 00:39 UTC

From: Shmuel Metz <shmuel+mail-abuse-feedback-report@patriot.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 20:36:56 -0400
To: marf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [marf] Comments on draft-jdfalk-marf-as-00

In <E10059DE-53CC-40D4-B64A-0491596D07FD@cybernothing.org>, on
09/01/2011
   at 12:22 PM, "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk-lists@cybernothing.org> said:

>Do you have any examples of this type of functionality in MUAs
>available today?

I'm afraid not, but I believe that we should discuss the issue.

I've got a tool that I use to analyze individual messages and collect
whois data on hosts either in the headers or in URL's; it would be a
SMOP to modify it to generate a MARF report. The user would have to
know hown many leading Received header fields to skip. I'm willing to
contribute the code[1] if it would help.

>I believe we covered that in marf-base, but I wouldn't be opposed to
>saying it again.  Can you suggest some appropriate language?

He's my first crack at it. In 2.  Creating and Sending Reports, at end
of paragraph 1:

     A Mailbox Provider that does not offer another mechanism
     should accept MARF reports from authenticated MSA users
     and may offer tools for generating those reports.

As new paragraph:

 5.  MUA authors that provide for generating MARF reports
     SHOULD provide a "this is spam" option and MAY provide a
     "this is not spam" option. The number of Received header
     fields to skip and the target mailbox addresses should be
     configuration data tather than solicited at each use. Such
     reports should be sent only using SMTPAUTH.

[1] Be warned, it's rapid protyping at its worst and really needs
    a redesign.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>