Re: [martini] REMINDER: Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Fri, 10 September 2010 10:49 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 06:49:50 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "martini@ietf.org" <martini@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [martini] REMINDER: Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

I think supporting public GRUUs is not hard for a Registrar or an SSP.  But in practice they don't always need them and in fact rarely use them today afaict, which means we'd be requiring something that is not actually required for GIN to work.  So one of two things will happen for those who don't need it - they'd either not do GRUU and the RFC would be partially implemented, leading to interop problems if the PBX expected and required it for Registration, or the SSP wouldn't do GIN at all.  Either case would be bad.

So I'm in favor of not making it a MUST.

That begs the question of what to do with it, though.

-hadriel