Re: [mmox] MMOX: Strawman scope/goals/approach

Christian Scholz <cs@comlounge.net> Tue, 24 February 2009 23:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:31:14 +0100
From: Christian Scholz <cs@comlounge.net>
To: "Mark P. McCahill" <mccahill@duke.edu>
Cc: mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] MMOX: Strawman scope/goals/approach

Mark P. McCahill schrieb:
> +1
>
> I really like the approach David is taking here. The first two items:
>
>   * managing identity
>   * naming and authenticating services in MMOX worlds
>
> are prerequisites for getting anywhere with cross-system interoperability,
> would benefit users of existing systems, and should be achievable in the
> fairly near term. Understanding how to negotiate these services is the
> place to start, rather than defining an abstract wire-level protocol, if
> the intent is to bring something other than Second Life-like worlds into
> the fold.

+1 and I would actually list:

  - defining an identity endpoint
  - service discovery to find services for this identity such as profile
    definition, friends list, inventory server, ...
  - distributed authorization

Then having a way defined for services to be found and authorized one
could define the specifics of these services.

I would extend this beyond MMOX worlds though because there is huge
interest in the web and social networking players as well.

So maybe a seperate working group which has not the focus so much just
on virtual worlds for this part might make sense. But I have no idea
about the IETF process anyway at this time and if and how this would be
possible or wanted.

-- Christian