Re: [MMUSIC] Draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-05: session-level attributes

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Mon, 27 August 2012 17:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:03:57 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-05: session-level attributes

I've always thought this should be the way things work, for all
attributes. But somewhere I came across an attribute (sorry, don't
remember which one) where the attribute at session level means something
different than the attribute at media level, and so can't be treated as
a default for media level. (E.g. the session level is an aggregate limit
for something, while the media level is a limit for a single m-line.)

Am I just dreaming this? Or can someone identify specific attributes
that behave this way?

If there are existing attributes that behave this way, then we can't
make a blanket statement like this. There will need to be an escape
hatch. For example:

"The connection ("c=") information in the
  session-level section applies to all the media of that session unless
  overridden by connection information
  in the media description.  For instance, in the example
  below, TBD..."

"The attribute ("a=") information in the
  session-level section applies to all the media of that session unless
  overridden by connection information or an attribute of the same name
  or choice in the media description, or the specification of that
  attribute calls for a different treatment.
  For instance, in the example
  below, each media behaves as if it were given a "recvonly" attribute.
  If the example had additionally contained a "sendrecv" media-level
  attribute for audio, only the video media would behave as if it were
  given a "recvonly" attribute."

Even this could have some backward compatibility consequences. I think
there are some attributes that are only defined for media level. This
revision would mean that a session level value could override a default
for media level. Implementations that aren't prepared for that might break.

	Thanks,
	Paul