Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review

"Vijay Devarapalli" <vijay@wichorus.com> Thu, 15 January 2009 18:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:37:26 -0500
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com, sgundave@cisco.com
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Pasi,

> Also, the whole 'T' bit is problematic; from the IESG ballot:
>
> - Apparently the 'T' bit does means only that MN supports the
>   general TLV format; it may not support any of the specific TLV
>   types, such as GRE (and new ones may be defined in the future).
>   How this is supposed to work?

I don't see an issue. Today we have three types. IPv4, IPv6 and GRE.
IPv4 and IPv6 can be used without having to negotiate anything or figure
out if the other end has support for IPv4 and IPv6. For GRE, I expect a
separate document that adds some sort of GRE encapsulation option to the
binding update (similar to what is specified in
draft-ietf-netlmm-grekey-option-02). For other types we might define in
the future, there would be some sort of mobility option in the binding
update that tells the HA what the mobile node wants to use when
negotiating the TLV header.

Vijay